for it is in the minds of men and women that the defences of peace and the conditions for sustainable development must be built. ~UNESCO

Monday, August 29, 2011

English Funlish

Read on to see the crazy sides of English 
  •   The bandage was wound around the wound.
  •    The machine was used to produce produce.
  •    The pit was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
  •     I would lead if I could get the lead out.
  •    The man decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
  •   Since there was no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
  •      A bass was painted at the head of the bass drum.
  •     He shot at the dove and the dove dove into the pond.
  •    They were too close to the door to close it.
  •   The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
  •   Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
  •    I had to subject the subject to tests on the subject.
  •    How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
  •  There is no egg in eggplant or ham on hamburger, neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
  •  Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren’t sweet at all are meat.
  •    Quicksand can work slowly, and guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor it is a pig.
  •  What other reasons could there be for saying that people recite at the play and play at the recital? Or ship cargo by truck and send cargo by ship? Or, have noses that runs and feet that smells? How can overlook and oversee be opposites, while quite a lot and quite a few are alike?
  •    How can weather be hot as hell one day and cold as hell    another? 
  •   Your house can burn up by burning down,
  •   You fill in a form by filling it out, 
  •   and an alarm goes off by going on. 
  •  When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.
  •  And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up an essay, I end it.

  Let’s face it-English is a crazy language.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment